Wednesday, July 22, 2015

In the Feels: Why I make fanart for free (mostly)


I love a lot of series so yes I make fanart from time to time. More likely than not though I'm usually making original characters inspired by what I like. By that I mean I start to analyze the designs of the shows or the story structures and learn to do it myself. Shows I like spark my researcher instincts! I also do fanart to exercise my skills at mimicking styles. There is a struggle in me about making original art in my own style and doing fanart to mimic so I might get hired at said show or by someone who wants that specific style. 


So why sell fanart then? For one I'm trying to sell out of the prints I made before I got out of making fanart so much. When I started making fan work for sale I didn't think I would ever be good enough to make my own characters and worlds. Drawings I could always polish but my ideas I never felt were going to get me a job. When I was in high school I made all kinds of original things but it was hammered home that I was apparently a "dime a dozen" and to just try to get into a studio to work for.

Whats the difference of making fan art and working for a studio,right? Getting paid for it officially I guess? Some fan artists draw even better than the shows they come from! For years I've been annoyed off and on about selling it at all. I've been yelled at not to do it and for getting mad myself at others selling it themselves.


I did this sketch because I wanted to practice run cycles. Maybe I'll clean this up for a print along with the Steven U FLCL crossover I've been working on. There are many reasons why I sell fanart and none of them are about using it as a career in only making fanart.

When I sell at fan conventions it helps bring people to my table AND I like making fan art. I make small runs of the prints,literally 2-3 copies of each print.  I went to a fan con last weekend just to sell off the rest of my fan art prints. I did end up making 2 more but I can save them for other fan cons I made go to before I can fully get into indie cons.

Now I still like making my fan doodles but only on my terms. I will take requests for money but when I draw something to show my love for a series I'm going to show it the way I feel. I've had a few people get mad because after they asked me to draw some fandom thing I sent them my commission rates.



Everyone should make what they want. My hubs asked what would I do if people sold fan art of my work. Of course I'd be upset but I'd also be flattered. The thing that makes it not ok is when my art,fan art or original,gets taken outright where the thief takes my signature off while adding their own. If someone takes the time to draw their own version of my character to show me love and sells it then it's complicated. As long as they are directing people to the original creator,me,then ok I guess? Isn't that the idea of fan art anyway, getting people to like what you like/connecting with your fandom?

When I stopped making fan art I did notice a drop in popularity of course. Now I want to focus on my original content. What is more important to me now is making my own stories. I want to create characters that I love like children and I do. I don't have a lot of likes or comments like I did on my fan art but I get better comments that say more than "cute" or  "make so and so in your style". I've made real friends who talk to me about making comics. In the end thats what I want to have in the long run.

No comments: