Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Working on the future,today.

Every year for his birthday and Christmas I try to make an illustration for my babe. I really wanted to draw inklings because we both love Splatoon and I love the fact that the character skin is so customization friendly.

This past year has seen a great jump in representation. I don't know for sure if thats because I'm actively looking for it and making it in my art. I don't know if it's because more people are speaking up about it. I notice the biggest difference though when I go from online to in person.



Being with friends at events makes things much easier. I mentioned this in my Canzine review about how people who looked at the tables were not necessarily into comics. Some flat out said they did not like comics at all. At first I was mad because why would you go to a zinefest if you didn't like comics! Then I realized after asking why they didn't like comics it was because they think all comics are super hero based only. While I like super hero comics I've only made slice of life and magical comics. I have in total 2 super hero comics I'd want to make. 1 is steampunk, the other is like She-Hulk mixed with Iron Man. 

The other thing I was upset about was that 80% and more people selling and buying at the indie comics events I went to were white. Growing up where I did really effected how I live in the world outside of LA. Because I'm darker than "white passing" a lot of people treat me like they can't relate to me on any level. Thats weird to me because the part that I identify with most is being a nerd. I've been "complimented" that I am articulate as if English isn't my first language or get shit from people who refuse to believe that most of my family was in the US before it was even a country. Obviously many of my ancestors are Spanish,Portuguese and French. THANKS "settlers". 

So yes I have a lot of baggage about under-representation and being categorized. Knowing this of course I felt isolated at the zinfests. I really tried to hunt for the artists that looked like me. It was very exciting to find ones that were as talkative as me but also sad when I seen ones that were very shy and quiet. 

After I talked about what I was upset about with PB and my friend Drea I felt stronger. Even though I did feel scared to be a small voice at those events I want to keep going. If I'm not seeing people who look like me at events then why don't I be that person for others? So if you don't hear it enough from others,I'm gonna say it. DO THE THING. Make comics,go to events and be your own representation. I will find you and buy all your things! 

No comments: